Puppy Contract Full Registration Sample
Puppy/Dog Purchase Agreement & Guarantee (Full Registration) Sample
Sire Registered #:
Dam Registered #:
This agreement dated as of ___________ is between ________ (“Breeder”) and __________ (“Buyer”). The subject of this Agreement is the above described puppy/dog.
The Breeder and Buyer agree as follows:
1. Purchase Price: A non-refundable deposit of ______ shall be due and paid to Breeder upon execution of this Agreement. The deposit shall be applied to the final purchase price of ______. The remaining balance is due when the puppy/dog reaches 6 weeks of age. Any shipping and handling expenses are the responsibility of and shall be paid by Buyer. All payments due under this Agreement shall be made in US dollars and paid to the Breeder via Cash App, Bank Wire, Credit or Debit Card, Venmo, or Zelle.
2. Full Registration: The puppy/dog is purebred and registered with ______ (“kennel club”). The puppy is being sold with full registration, which allows show and breeding rights on the puppy/ dog. Breeder agrees to provide Buyer with registration papers.
3. Registration by Buyer: Buyer shall register the puppy/dog with proper kennel club. Buyer agrees to use the Breeder’s Kennel name when registering the puppy/dog and provide the Breeder with a photocopy of the puppy/dog’s registration as promptly as possible after receipt. Buyer will not change the puppy/dog’s registration name without Breeder’s prior written consent and will never remove the kennel prefix from the puppy/dog’s registration name.
4. Breeder’s Obligations: Breeder represents and warrants the following:
a. Ownership: Breeder is the lawful owner of the puppy/dog and has the right to transfer ownership of the puppy/dog to Buyer. Ownership of the puppy/dog will be transferred to Buyer upon Buyer’s payment of the full Purchase Price.
b. Returns/Refunds: If it is determined by a licensed veterinarian that the puppy/dog was unfit for purchase or has a genetic disorder that is identified within the warranty periods described, the Buyer may return the puppy/dog and receive a replacement puppy/dog from the next available litter of equal or better value. Should the puppy/dog be returned or exchanged according to the terms of this section, buyer shall be responsible for any and all transportation expenses, veterinarian charges, crate fees, air freight charges, and transport fees.
No Other Warranties: No other warranties or guarantees, expressed or implied, are made by Breeder, and the puppy/dog is sold and delivered in an “as is” condition, except as expressly and specifically set forth herein.
6. Buyer Obligations: Buyer agrees to the following:
a. Proper Care: Buyer will provide good and proper care of the puppy/dog. Such care includes providing adequate housing and protection from the elements, a safe (preferably fenced) exercise area, and proper and sufficient nutrition. Buyer will provide proper veterinary care throughout the puppy/dog’s lifetime, including but not limited to routine vaccinations and/or titers to maintain the puppy/dog’s immunity to common canine diseases.
b. Veterinary Care: Buyer will also provide the following veterinary care: routine vaccinations to prevent common infectious diseases, routine treatment for internal and external parasites, and annual examination by a licensed veterinarian.
c. Care to Prevent Orthopedic Conditions: Buyer will also provide the following care:
1. Proper nutrition to support ideal growth and maintain optimum body condition. Buyer will not overfeed the puppy/dog or allow it to become underweight.
2. Proper daily exercise to maintain the puppy/dog in good condition, but no forced exercise such as jogging until the puppy is full grown or the activity is approved by a licensed veterinarian.
3. Avoidance of stress injuries, such as not allowing the puppy/dog to jump from or over heights taller than itself at the shoulder until the puppy/dog is full grown or the activity is approved by a licensed veterinarian.
d. Sale Prohibition: Buyer is not acting as an agent in the purchase of the puppy/dog. Buyer agrees neither the puppy/dog, or any offspring shall be used for the purposed of vivisection or research. Buyer also agrees neither the puppy/dog, nor any progeny or the puppy/dog shall be sold by or through any commercial broker or wholesale establishment, any chain store, catalog sales house, or pet store.
e. Restrictions on Transfer: If at any time the Buyer is unable to keep or care for the puppy/dog (including upon Buyer’s death or incapacity), at Breeder’s sole election, the puppy shall be a) returned to the Breeder together with duly executed documentation transferring Buyer’s ownership interest in the puppy/dog to the Breeder or b) rehomed by Buyer with Breeder’s prior written approval, in each case without any refunds or payments due to Buyer. If following receipt, Breeder decides to rehome the puppy/dog, Breeder may elect to refund Buyer a portion of the original Purchase Price after deducting applicable maintenance, training, veterinary and other costs. Such refund amount shall be determined by Breeder in its sole discretion. Buyer acknowledges that the refund amount may be significantly less than the puppy/dog’s original Purchase Price depending upon the age, training, and condition of the puppy/dog.
f. No Transfer Outside of the United States: Buyer further agrees that the puppy/dog will not be sold to anyone residing outside of the United States without Breeder’s prior written approval.
g. Breach by Buyer: Buyer’s breach of any of the foregoing obligations shall result in Breeder’s warranties set forth in this Agreement being null and void.
7. Breeding Rights:
a. Breeding Prospect: Seller Acknowledges that the puppy/dog is being sold as a breeding prospect and represents that, at the time of sale, the puppy/dog shows promise of being worthy of being bred as an adult at the time of sale. Buyer acknowledges that due to changes which can occur as a dog matures, and the necessity of health clearances being obtained prior to breeding, Seller is not providing a guarantee that puppy/dog will be of breeding quality as an adult. If puppy/dog fails to pass any health clearances or is otherwise determined by Seller to be unsuitable for breeding, Buyer agrees not to breed the puppy/dog and to promptly have a hysterectomy/vasectomy completed on the puppy/dog (at Buyer’s expense) and provide proof to seller immediately upon completion.
b. Breeding Costs: Buyer is responsible for all costs related to breeding the puppy/dog, including but not limited to, the costs of health clearances, stud fees, transportation, veterinary care, and whelping to raising the litter.
8. Showing Rights:
a. Showing Prospect: Seller acknowledges that the puppy/dog is being sold as a show prospect and represents that, at the time of sale, the puppy/dog is free from any major faults and shows promise of being able to complete a breed championship. Buyer acknowledges that due to changes which can occur as a dog matures, Seller is not providing a guarantee that puppy/dog will be of showing quality as an adult.
b. Maintenance: Buyer agrees to maintain the puppy/dog in show condition which includes providing proper nutrition, training, and continuous socialization for the puppy/dog and to maintain the puppy/dog’s optimal weight as appropriate for the show ring. Buyer agrees to attempt to show the puppy/dog to its proper kennel club championship.
c. Showing Rights: Buyer may show the puppy/dog herself or may utilize the services of a professional handler. Buyer shall be responsible for all expenses related to showing the puppy/ dog.
9. Ongoing Communications: Both parties agree to promptly notify the other of any change of address, email, or phone number. Buyer agrees to a) maintain contact with Breeder regarding the puppy/dog at least once each calendar year and to reply as promptly as possible to inquiries about the puppy/dog from Breeder, b) inform Breeder of any titles completed by the puppy/dog as determined by the Kennel Club or other registries, and c) inform Breeder of any major changes in the health of the puppy/dog throughout the puppy/dog’s lifetime including but not limited to, cancer, epilepsy, heart, eye or hearing conditions, allergies, bleeding disorders or autoimmune disease, and behavioral problems particularly fear, anxiety, or aggression. Buyer will, upon the natural or accidental death of the puppy/dog, promptly notify Breeder of the particulars of the animal’s death.
10. Remedy for Mistreatment: If the Breeder feels the puppy/dog is not getting proper care and treatment, Breeder has the right to have the puppy/dog examined by a licensed veterinarian. If such veterinarian finds the puppy/dog to be a victim of ill-treatment, abuse, or neglect, the Breeder has the right to take full possession of the puppy/dog and its duly signed Registry papers and all Breeder warranties herein shall become null and void. For the avoidance of doubt, if Breeder takes possession of the puppy/dog in accordance with this section, Buyer shall not be entitled to any refunds of any payments made to Breeder.
11. Agreement to Mediate: If a dispute arises out of or relates to this Agreement, or the alleged breach thereof, and if the dispute is not settled through negotiation, the parties agree first to try in good faith to settle the dispute by mediation by a mediator chosen by the Breeder before resorting to arbitration, litigation, or some other dispute mediation resolution procedure. The process shall by confidential based on terms acceptable to the mediator and/or mediation service provider.
12. Governing Law: This Agreement, and all matters arising out of or relating to this Agreement, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of _________ without regard to the conflicts of laws provisions thereof.
13. Miscellaneous: This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties regarding the subject matter herein and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous agreements, negotiations, discussions and understandings, written or oral, between the parties with respect to such subject matter. Neither party may assign, transfer, or subcontract any obligations (or rights) under this Agreement without the prior written consent of the other party. No changes, modifications or waivers to this Agreement will be effective unless in writing and signed by both parties. In the event that any provision of the Agreement is determined to be illegal or unenforceable, that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that this Agreement shall otherwise remain in full force and effect and enforceable. This Agreement may be executed in any number of counterparts and such counterparts together shall constitute the same instrument. This Agreement may be executed by electronic signature, which shall be considered as an original signature for all purposes and shall have the same force and effect as an original signature.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, Breeder and Buyer have executed this Agreement effective as of the Effective Date.